Everybody wants to get on the Van Gogh boat. I think, as in that Basquiat movie quote from that Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat mural that finds itself posted above that was found on the streets around 10th and Bedford Avenue during that BLOCK PARTY at Northside Festival in New York City this past weekend. And Northside Festival gave me the opportunity to drag that Black Lives Matter artwork out of the closet again to do another one of those Black Lives Matter Went To Northside Festival art shows, or part of it, or some version of it as I did at their festival last year and to post on this blog that Black Lives Matter Art Show went to another event, or something like that. And the rain held off and the sun felt as if it was a thousand degrees on this Northside Festival 2017 weekend in New York City.
June 10 – June 11
Bedford L Stop
1PM to 6PM
Northside Block Party // Williamsburg Walks
On June 10th-11th, Williamsburg’s main drag – Bedford Avenue will transform into a public park (from Metropolitan Avenue to N.12th Street). Temporary wall units for live painting, interactive installations and workshops, and engaging sculptures will be staggered throughout the blocks for the community to enjoy! See you at the Block Party!
Come see the work of these talented artists and exciiting business!
Nyssa Frank @nyssa_art
Black Lives Matter Art Show https://nopolicestategirl.net/
Chinon Maria Studio & Maven Murals @chinonmaria
Stickymonger and Andrea Kang @stickymonger & @harlow_bear
El Museo de Los Sures & Taiwanese American Arts Council
Niizeki Hiromi @niizeki_hiromi www.niizekihiromi.com
Kelly Denato @nopunchbacks
J.H.S. 291 Roland Hayes
Brooklyn Draw Jam @ brooklyndrawjam
John P. Dessereau @johnsville.studio
Francesca Marguerite Maximé @francescamaxime
Jason Heuer @ jason_heuer
133 Design Collective @133designcollective
Williamsburg Charter Highschool www.thewcs.org
Seth Failla www.sethfailla.com
Scott Walker @scottliamwalker
James Orchard-Hays @jamesorchardhays,
Suerpchief Gallery NY @superchiefgallery
Ian Ferguson @hydeon
Stephen Faillace @stephen_faillace
The Strangers Project @StrangersProj
Jacob Thomas jacobthomasart.com
Natalie Lucre @cultofshe
Christine Stoddard/The Collage Forest http://www.quailbell.com/
Zoey Hart www.zoeyahart.wordpress.com
Mad Gleam Press https://www.madgleampress.com/
Natalia Zamparini www.facebook.com/natybynature
Scott Chasse @scott__chasse
The Art Rising https://www.theartrising.com/
KPISS. FM www.kpiss.fm
Stage of Aces @StageOfAces
Hosh Yoga http://www.hoshyoga.org/
Brooklyn Fox Lingerie http://brooklynfoxlingerie.com/
Twenty Sided Store http://twentysidedstore.com/
Artists & Fleas https://www.artistsandfleas.com/
Soft Spot Bar http://softspotbar.com/
Brooklyn Charm https://www.brooklyncharm.com/
Sweet Chick http://sweetchick.com/
The Meatball Shop https://www.themeatballshop.com/
Freelancers Union https://www.freelancersunion.org/
North Brooklyn Angels http://northbrooklynangels.nationbuilder.com/
And someone said to me on this day as they pondered those thoughts on Black Lives Matter, a particular thought that stuck in my mind, that “Black means evil and white means good”, and that this thought has been instilled in us since the beginning of time and can this ever be changed?
And I seemed to have taken a photo of everything but those Your Thoughts on Black Lives Matter thoughts that were written on the banners themselves on this day, though some of those thoughts in addition to other Your Thoughts on Black Lives Matter thoughts written on banners on this day if I were to read them were:
1. We are alive
2. Yes, Black Lives Matter, sktop the diversity chatter!
3. life is a gift, a black person life is just as important as anyone else!!!
4. Beyond the race on life is on life.
5. ALL Lives MATTER!!
6. All lives can’t possibly matter until Black Lives, animal lives are not being slaughtered every day. Black lives, black justice are 5 times likely to a longer sentence that white & black women are in terms. Research!
7. (In response to 6), America forgot what it stood for! We will get this back! RESIST!
8. It’s a shame we even have to say it!
9. Black lives Matters isn’t just about black people. it represents every culture & every minority that is the underdog. – Vi2
10. The Black Lives Matter Movement is the voice of the survivors – Wordsconnect
11. We are FAMILY!!
12. Let’s all come together As All Lives Matter – Real people see all colors. Black Lives Matter….
13. BLM = ALWAYS HERE NEVER LEFT BEHIND
14. #Don’t Be Horrible Love always wins!
15. BLACK Lives Are Sacred
16. All lives matter
17. RISE ABOVE!
18. I matter, my brother matters, my son matters, my father matters, my uncles matter, my nephews matter, my black family matters.
19. black people are beautiful, amazing, INCREDIBLE. – Logic. PLD
20. #BLM Too much to say. We all need to open up and create a community unafraid to face discomfort & stand up for another.
21, Lets all come together as All Lives Matter – Real people see all colors. Black Lives Matter….
23. Be Proud oF being BLACK – Ellie
24. WE WANT EQUALITY YOU SONS OF A BITCHES!!!
25. Equality by Force Dump Dump
26. Equality for all
27. we are not free with discrimination
28. KIA KAHA
29. should be a f*ckin no – brainer! LOVE U
30. PEACE LOVE LIGHT CONQUERS ALL
31. Brown & Black people should unite as one to defend racism together! Together we will can be one.
32. De Segregate the NYC schools Be TOGETHER! LEARN TOGETHER
33. Black Lives Matter!
34. Everyone deserves the same thing
35. WE CAN MAKE GREAT CHANGE WALKING HAND IN HAND!
36. Everyone should be treated like human
37. No individual can be truly, fully happy, free and at peace until every single person is. We are all more united, more unbreakably one than cultural systems would have us believe. Thank you, thank you for your heart – ful work, BLM, for fighting the good fight. for not just POC, but for the soul of humanity.
38. I LOVE BLACK LIVES BLACK LIVES MATTER IN SOLIDARITY. JAY
39. White people stop being afraid. Your lives matter but you’re not getting killed because of your skin tone! This movement is important. NEEDED
40. White silence is violence. Madelinefiorio
42. ALthough racism exists, so does LOVE, HONOR, Respect and acceptance. We need more of this to conquer hatred! #LOVE
43, Maylin not racist
44. My life, your life, our life. We share the f*cking earth. It’s not your’s. It’s -OURS-.
45. Diversity is what makes the world wonderful.
46. Close your eyes and you will see we are all humans. One Love xx
47. Yes! THEY HAVE ALWAYS MATTERED (Peace, Justice, Love to all people!)
48. Let there be peace on earth. Let it begin with me.